BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, May 25, 2008

The American Church

I was recently riding around Springfield with my wife and noticed new construction on a mega-church on the North end of town. I'm not sure what the church is called, or what denomination it belongs to, but it is a large and impressive building. I'm certain that it runs somewhere in the $5-$10 million range.

I don't recall quite how, but this led to a discussion about why the Church in America is failing.

A part of it is popular image. We are seen as a bunch of rabid and unthinking protesters who are opposed to progress. In some instances this is true. (It was kind of stupid to buy thousands of copies of Harry Potter books just to burn them. Not only did this boost Rowlings book sales and media attention, it put us in the same category of other great book burners, such as (just a name at random here) Hitler and his Nazis. That really helped the popular image of Christianity.

The other, more serious reason, is that we fail to perform everyday ministry. The way I see it, the Church is kind of missing some obvious opportunities to reach out and help. For instance, in the city of Springfield, there is one minister who seems to focus his attention on helping the homeless. His efforts are largely opposed by the city because he hasn't been able to provide adequate security in the facilities he's trying to open, which has raised concerns about the safety of school children in the surrounding neighborhoods. Providing round the clock security costs money. I can't help but wonder what this man could accomplish with an influx of $5-$10 million dollars and some sound financial advising. And I can't help but ask if Springfield really needs another church, let alone another mega-church.

Another example that comes to mind are Springfield's various food pantries. There have been at least half a dozen news stories about how many of these pantries are running out of food and supplies. Again, what could they do with $5-$10 million dollars. Honestly, $500,000 dollars would be more than enough for quite a while for many of them.

Then there is the current fuel crisis. The cost of fuel is driving up the cost of living, as we all know. This is making things extremely difficult, if not impossible, for a lot of the nation's low income families. This makes people desperate. Desperate people do desperate things. As such, it's really no wonder that there has been a dramatic increase in violent crime in Springfield. I'm not a social engineer, but I can't help but wonder what sort of relief could be provided with $5-$10 million dollars and a good financial plan to make it last.

I know there are some pretty obvious counter arguments to what I'm saying, based on economics and politics. I know that Christians are the ones to show up in any real numbers to help out at disasters. We are generally very giving and helpful people. It's a part of the nature of Christ in us. I'm just saying we are missing some obvious needs, and some obvious opportunities on the home front.

I think the Church in America has had the wrong focus for quite a while. We've been trying to fight the dragon in Washington, while ignoring the snakes in the cradle at home. Among the middle class, the American church is emptying out. Kids are growing up in church without developing a relationship with Christ, and then are leaving the church as adults.

Bethany provided a great example as to why, as well. If a youth pastor is handing out Jell-O shots to a group of kids (college age or not) as a part of a church function, I can't say I'm surprised these kids don't really know Christ.

I know this is just one example, and it's probably extreme; but I think it's indicative of what's wrong in the Church. We don't treat God as Holy anymore, and we don't view the things of God as sacred anymore. I'm guilty of this as well.

I know God walks and lives with us in the everyday world. (I got dirty looks from Charity last night for saying God plays Halo, but that's okay.) Many of my favorite experiences with God haven't happened anywhere near a church. The only place I've shared the gospel with anyone in the last ten years has been at work. I'm not sure how effective I was, but I did share the gospel with nearly every kid I worked with, until my last year at LRH. Then I spent quite a bit of time just fellowshipping with and praying for my co-workers (and doing a lot of acupressure, which is also sharing the love of God.) For most of my time at LRH, I wasn't able to attend church regularly, and our weekly prayer/Halo parties was the only Christian fellowship I got (thusly, God plays Halo, or at least comes to Halo parties.) As such I've become rather comfortable with God in the everyday, and I probably don't fear/revere Him as much as I should. In fact, I skipped church this morning because I woke up late and didn't have clean clothes. Ten years ago I would have stayed up all night to finish my laundry and wouldn't have considered skipping church despite being exhausted (though Hanna, Becca, and Amber all wished I would have. Sorry for being such a bear, and thank you for being such good friends.)


All of that to say this: I need to take advantage of the everyday opportunities to serve God and minister to those around me, and I need to fear God a little more. (He is bigger than me, after all.)

1 comments:

Mercutio said...

You have had many good posts, but this one rises above them. Plus, this one dovetails with some thinking I've been doing about witnessing, the Church, etc.

Fantastic post. I will read it again. :)