BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, July 5, 2008

A View From Distant Shores.

I wrote an Email to my friend Azzy, but I felt the need to share part of it with the world. Here it is.

Amber went home for two weeks and I essentially became a monk for that time. I stayed off of the computer for pretty much the entire two weeks and spent most of my free time getting reacquainted with God. I have not prayed nor read my Bible consistently since I was in college. I've felt the need to start again.

It was a good two weeks, but I was surprised to see how much I've changed in terms of relating to God. I'm far more aware of how inadequate and frail I am. As a result I think I'm a bit more humble and hopefully more malleable. I also find that while I may still disagree with some things that God has done and may be doing in my life, I am far more willing to obey. Some days I am confident I will be okay. Other days I'm sure I should be on an express elevator to hell. As I've said, I have struggled with some of my own inner darkness for years. I've come to accept it as a part of me, and largely find positive outlets for it; but it's still darkness. I think that's okay though.

Re-reading the Bible, I can see some of God's darker nature as well. Not evil, just aggressive and ruthless. He knows what He wants, He knows that some people will have to suffer in order for Him to get it. He proceeds anyway. What He does do, that I respect greatly, is take responsibility for it. I see the cross as just that, now. God makes salvation easy just for that reason. (All we have to do is believe in Christ and do our best; there is no mandate for obtaining perfection or enlightenment, just doing our best and not quitting.) He also came down here and suffered both with us and for us. In the case of Christ that is readily evident. In the case of the Holy Spirit, the suffering is less evident; but I believe it is there.

To put this in context I think I need to share how I kind of view the world now. A few years ago I came to the conclusion that God is trying to create a perfect world. In my view, the only way to accomplish this is to fill a world with loving and relatively unselfish people. God tried twice creating worlds with perfect conditions. The first time a full third of the population rebelled and started a civil war that rages to this day. The second time, 100% of the population rebelled, and there was only one rule: "Don't eat from this one tree."

I think that's why God's biggest commandments are to love Him, and to love each other as we love ourselves. If you love Him, you respect Him and His wishes. This includes following His rules, most of which (especially in regards to carnal rules) are just medically and psychologically sound advice anyway. If you love yourself, you respect yourself and take care of yourself. (I think this is where most of us fall short. We don't respect ourselves. We tend to indulge in things that we would protect our children or others from, whether its some minor carnal delight or worse; harmful attitudes. I tended towards self-pity in college and in the intervening years. It took a few years of working with troubled kids and realizing I was maintaining many of the attitudes that these juvenile delinquents were harboring. I was also starting to see where those attitudes would lead. I think that began my road to repentance.) If we love others, we respect them and treat them well.

If you can populate a world with people who are willing to follow guidelines for healthy physical, emotional, and social living, who respect themselves, discipline themselves, and are able to admit to their mistakes, and who respect and care for others; it doesn't matter what the conditions are. That world will eventually become a utopia because of the people in it. The trick is finding those people. I think that is the purpose of this life. We choose whether or not we will be one of those people.

I do need to say that I don't envision utopia as a place that is filled with people who are happy and singing all the time. (I would have to kill them all, especially if they are singing before noon while I am trying to sleep.) I envision it as a world filled with people who really do care about each other, and do their best to look out for each other. We each give a little and get a little. We all sacrifice for the greater good. (This means I keep a lot of what I think and feel to myself, and I do what I know is right or good or kind even if I don't feel like it. In return people do what is right and good and kind for me. It means I try to want for people instead of wanting from people. To me that is huge and difficult. I try to balance it with a philosophy I learned from Chris called intelligent self-interest. I do nice things for others because I will want them to be pre-disposed to do nice things for me. I also obey God because He is bigger than me and everybody else.)

Anyway, I base a lot of this on God outright stating that this world is a process of sorting the wheat from the chaff, the lambs from the goats. He makes lambhood easy; care for others and hang in there. (It's the hanging in there part that is difficult, especially when you've had to struggle for a few years. That's where the poem So this is Faith came from. It's on my myspace. I don't know if you've read it.)

Of course I may be entirely off base with this.

2 comments:

Diego said...

So This is Faith

by Donald Hawkins



Heaven is so distant,

Like a forgotten dream, lost in a sea of fog.

God's touch is barely remembered, but sorely missed.

They tell me this is faith:

Believing without seeing, acting without knowing

But it feels like I'm blind and lost,

Wandering in a field of glass and asps,

Locked in a dungeon with a ravenous beast.

It feels like I am forgotten, forsaken, unwanted.

My God, My God why have you forsaken me?

Why are you so far from saving me,

so far from the words of my groaning?

Many bulls surround me,

Strong bulls of Bashan encircle me.

Roaring lions tearing their prey

open their mouths wide against me.

I am poured out like water

and all my bones are out of joint.

My heart has turned to wax

it is melted away within me.

My strength is failing.

I am weary in a way I can't describe.

There are no words for it.

Weary of life and it's constant, pointless trials.

Weary of fighting a fight I didn't pick and want no part of,

Weary of waging war against an enemy older, wiser, and deadlier than me,

Weary of trying to believe.

Where now is the God of Elijah,

The God of Abraham, Isaac, and the Fear of Jacob?

Where is the God of Daniel who shut the mouths of lions

and stood with him in the den?

Where is the God of Moses, who heard his peoples cry

and sent a deliverer to them?

Where is the wisdom, the power, the majesty?

Where is the God, Jesus, who died for me?

Where is the God of Jonah, who pursued this wayward

prophet and kept the path beneath his feet?

Where is the God of David, who suffered no defeat?

Where is the God of Hosea, who pursued his unfaithful

bride to win and to woo her?

Where is the God of Deborah, who delievered Israel through her?

Where is my Rock, my Fortress, my Shepherd, my King?

Heaven is do distant, but only just out of reach.

You sit enthroned above all and beyond me.

I cannot grasp, fathom, or begin to comprehend

The plans, schemes, fates, and whims

You engineer.

This terrifies me.

God, so distant, so transcendent.

How can you not have forgotten me?

In this multi-tiered web of infinite possibilities,

In this festering cess-pool called a sea of humanity

How can I mean anything?

Your word says you love me, and I know this to be true.

Golgotha still speaks to me,

Or as we now call it, Calvary.

What more proof could I need

Than the body of God broken, on a tree?

But I do not feel loved.

There is no warmth, no light, no peace.

Just this battle, my puny faith, and me.

That is all I see.

But I guess that's what faith means:

To believe when you can't see,

When there is nothing to see.

You said it would hurt and it would be hard,

But I did not, could not comprehend then

What I am suffering now; this desolation without end.

This feeling that you deserted a friend.

During the fight of my life, my back to the wall

You cannot or will not come when I call.

And so I have learned to cringe.

Where once there was a warcry full of boldness and zeal

There is now a shameful, piteous squeal.

And I have learned fear:

Fear of falling, fear of failing, fear of losing

Fear of mis-stepping in my unguided choosing.

Fear of the things that bump, jostle, pinch, slap, punch, bite,

and strike in the night.

Fear that you have forgotten me.

Fear that you no longer want me.

And fear of getting beaten down in this fight.

I have learned of strength through pain,

Of the loathing that weakness brings,

Of the alluring songs that darkness sings.

I have learned of the numb, empty apathy that comes of suffering.

And I have learned what duty means.

Trudging on broken, sometimes unwilling.

Following half forgotten orders, and principles that were drilled in

Like: choosing to love, and forgiving,

And then forgiving again.

And the bone deep abysmal fatigue,

Not dying no matter how much my soul bleeds,

Showing compassion after being slapped in the face,

The stagger-step that keeps you in the race

When all you want is to fall and be done.

"Loyalty to the End! All for the Mission!"

Pressing on in the melancholic haze devoid of passion.

Hoping and waiting for the day you lay down to pleasant dreams without end

And perhaps to hear, "Well done," from a long lost Friend.

And so this is Faith

This is my Christianity.

A life in which I hope God loves me

But in which He is apparently out of reach

Father, I do not know that you haven't forsaken me

I do not know that you still love me

But I still believe,

Because of a lifeless body hung on a tree.

Mercutio said...

Thanks for the shout-out on intelligent self interest, though I feel that I have to note that you've taken it in a direction I never considered. I definitely do nice things for people to make them predisposed to be nice to me, but I never considered it as part of ISI.

Great blog!