BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

KDE 4.2

After talking about how similar KDE 4.2 is to Windows with my friend Rob, I decided to install it on my Ubuntu box. I've been running GNOME, for quite a while, and have generally confined my KDE usage to Knoppix. I've preferred GNOME out of familiarity and it's better finish than KDE 3.x series. I have to say, KDE 4.x has definitely changed my mind.

There is blatant inspiration from Windows Vista here, but I don't see that as a negative. MS is good at putting polish and shine on it's stuff. That has been one area where Linux has definitely lagged behind. Linux nerds tend to be more concerned with function than aesthetics, so while their completed projects tend to work well, they are generally less visually appealing. Microsoft and Apple, on the other hand, understand that the average person is willing to buy a pretty piece of crap (Windows ME, Vista, OS 9.)

While maintaining their love of function, the Nerds over at KDE have learned a few things about the value of pretty.

Here's my desktop. And no, I can't resist spinning that cube (pentagon):












0 comments: